My favorite places, near and far

When I think about my absolute favorite places, I am forced to admit that I cannot choose only one. My favorite place to relax is vastly different from my favorite place I've visited, so I present them both.


Bookshelf at Half Price Books
Dee Coetzee, 2011. Web Source: Flickr

The used bookstore replaced the library as my all-time favorite place approximately 15 years ago; I discovered that the library had a limited and fixed inventory, while the used bookstore rotated through an ever-changing supply of books, journals, articles, and even antiques. This was and is my favorite place to relax and browse at leisure. 


(Image information: Sun Observatory, Chacchoben, Mexico;
personal photo, January 2018)

I recently returned from a trip to (among other places) Costa Maya, Mexico. While I was unable to fulfill my lifelong dreams of "becoming" Indiana Jones, I was able to visit several ruins of impressive age and history. The Chacchoben ruins, painstakingly rebuilt in several places, are the oldest and largest pieces of history I've ever witnessed with my own eyes. I have included a photo of the Sun Observatory located within the ruins, built in such a manner so as to perfectly align with the sunrise every spring and fall equinox (not shown). 

Comments

  1. What a great combination of images, Laura: fabulous! And books are a part of the Indiana Jones mystique too of course. Maybe you will want to do an "India/na Jones" archaeology adventure for a story project in this class! There are so many amazing sites in India; looking at the UNESCO World Heritage list for India provides a wonderful preview: World Heritage Sites in India

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura! I definitely browse half price books for fun all the time! I have not been in a while due to my lack of free time but you have sparked interest in me to go again soon! That is so cool that you got to go to Costa Maya, Mexico! The picture you took is amazing and shows so much depth to the sun observatory.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Commuter Student

Week 7 Story: The Dharma in Vidura