Adapting to a growth mindset for competitive students

The difficulty of adapting to a growth mindset for adult students lies primarily in the adjustment of expectations for one's education. I first encountered the growth mindset concept about two years prior, halfway through my undergraduate degree. My entire focus at that time was simple: Make the A. This is a normal feeling for any student, but most especially those who plan to attend a medical or dental school for post-graduate education.

The issue with the A mentality is that more effort and time is spent worrying over grades than actually learning. I've seen entire class periods in lab courses go by with students arguing over a two point assignment rather than using the time set aside for actually learning and connecting with the material and concepts presented. This was me, in semesters past. I realized at some point that I was no longer really learning. I would cram for tests, maximize my grades, and retain in cases almost nothing a few weeks after. This is not why I chose to go to college! Schedules are busy, assignments frequently due everywhere, but when the learning aspect takes a backseat to the grade aspect of higher education, very little long-term retention occurs. 

And so, following my exposure to the growth mindset, I challenged myself to actually learn and to use my time in college for more than just grade-grubbing. My grades haven't changed, but my shift in approach has caused a drastic improvement in my retention of material and concepts, and I feel much more prepared for tackling the challenges of grad school. I feel like I have more control over my life and my education since I abandoned the A or die mentality, and I like that. 

The Growth Mindset
Image Source: Flickr

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading your Growth Mindset post. The concept of Growth Mindset actually didn't really stick with me until this a couple of weeks ago. I have always been focused on getting the "A", like you said. But this semester I have a professor who specifically talks about how it is about the process not the end result. What matters is learning. If you fail, that's ok. You can learn from your mistakes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Commuter Student

Week 7 Story: The Dharma in Vidura