Feedback Thoughts



Negative feedback (in the case of constructive criticism) works far more efficiently than positive feedback for me. I hate to make mistakes, and I hate being told of my mistakes even more, but I pay far more attention to feedback which indicates an error or an opportunity for improvement than I do to reading "Great job!" No one enjoys having their errors pointed out, but I try to see each instance as a chance to learn. 

I was not always like this. The article 14 Signs Your Perfectionism Has Gotten Out Of Control provides an apt summary of my earlier self. In fact, there are several statements which I still identify with today. Most accurate would be a constant knowledge that I am never finished; there is always another paper to review, another graduate school to apply towards, another set of vocabulary flashcards to review, and a fridge full of slowly rotting produce because I don't make enough time to cook what few healthy foods I buy. These things, and so many others, exist and will continue; that is life and I have learned to accept that there is never quite enough time to complete each and every task. 

Possibly the most dangerous mentality to a perfectionist is detailed in The Psychology of Comparison and How to Stop. My father told me very early in life that there will always be someone in the world who is better than you, and who is worse than you, at any particular task. This was extraordinarily good advice, even if it may not actually be true; in all likelihood there will always be someone better than me in my field. I choose to strive towards that rather than measure the gap between.

The ability to calmly assess feedback is crucial. Mediocrity and unparalleled excellence are sometimes divided only by an editor or peer, able to see one's work with a fresh perspective and provide insight. I am still very nervous when I submit work, knowing it will potentially be ripped to shreds in the hands of an instructor, but I would vastly prefer that my work is seen and reviewed than for it to sit collecting dust because I was too afraid to allow someone the opportunity to criticize.

Image Source: Imgflip

Comments

  1. I think that negatie feedback has far more of an impact on most people. Negtive things tend to make people want to make some sort of adjustment from my observations. I personally believe thebest feedback is able to explain what was done well, while simultaneously expressing how things could be improved as well. The way in which the feedback is delievered is a very important aspect into whether or not the feedback will be considered when making changes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Commuter Student

Week 7 Story: The Dharma in Vidura