Week 8 Comments and Feedback

The majority of the feedback I've received has been very useful; I have never written fiction before, and I was quite nervous for the reception of some of the pieces. The encouragement was very helpful, and there have been some uncanny suggestions which I incorporated immediately. Feedback regarding the website design and functionality was very welcome, as there were things I was not even aware were issues for some browsers (like using light colored text on a light colored background). 

I think the feedback I leave is generally useful; there are occasions when I have to gush if the story is that good, but I tend to make suggestions based off of what I would enjoy reading, or how the presentation and layout of a story could be tweaked for more impact. There are definitely many good ideas out there (I loved the stories which were presented in a letter or first-person format)!

My introduction post was deliberately a bit vague, but very genuine, and I think others have responded to that (or commiserated regarding the university parking). I do very much enjoy seeing what others have chosen to place on view for their blogs, and there are definitely a few people I feel familiar with by now.

Looking forward, I would like to set aside more time for feedback on projects for others. We are accumulating more and more material, stories, and information as the semester goes by, and I think I should definitely take more time when critiquing. After having read so much about the ineffectiveness of certain types of praise, I will try to moderate my responses with fewer "Great job!" exclamations, and more substantial comments regarding specific things which were done well. 

I chose the infographic regarding what great listeners actually do. Each component presented I agree with entirely, and the six levels of listening shown are probably the best pieces of advice I've heard in a long time for maximizing communication skills in person. These are also great as daily goals for me. I sometimes struggle with maintaining quality conversations at work (I'm a waitress, so naturally you'd think I'd have these all memorized long-ago). I bet these could even boost my tips with some careful application. 


Image Source: Tanmay Vora

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Commuter Student

Week 7 Story: The Dharma in Vidura