Learning Challenge: FLOW

Flow is defined as a state in which people are so involved in an activity that nothing else seems to matter. Absolute attention leaves no leftover worry space, and knowing you're accomplishing something eats up all those little doubts and nagging voices in the back of your head.

A FLOW balance chart, between challenge and skill, allows for maximum immersion in the FLOW state. Anything too challenging will cause anxiety, and anything too skilled will cause boredom if the skill is undeveloped.


Image Source: Youtube

I remember taking my very first art class and feeling completely absorbed in tracing out every tiny vein and crinkle of an autumn oak leaf; three hours went by and and I realized the room was empty and I was alone. That's probably my best ever FLOW memory, and I have cultivated many hobbies over the years which yield that same feeling of total immersion. I have never before considered the balance between challenge and skill providing the FLOW "sweet spot," and I think that will be my research topic for this video: how to consistently get back into a FLOW mentality for projects, school, work, etc. I will probably seek out and read this book. Very good video!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Commuter Student

Week 7 Story: The Dharma in Vidura