Growth Mindset: School Learning vs. Summer Camp Learning


I can definitely confirm from personal experience that I remember summer camp vividly and learned so much more about myself than ever in a standard classroom scenario. I loved having the option to choose which activities I would do, and I felt much closer relationships forming between the other children and myself than in a quiet classroom. Direct instruction suffers proportionately with the size of the group the teacher is handling, in my opinion, and I never considered how much movement is helpful in being able to focus on a task or a topic... I hate sitting still, and all too easily still zone out without meaning to. However, if I have something in front of me to interact with, or am in a group tasked with solving questions together, I never suffer from a lack of interest. It's only when I sit still for greater than 20 minutes that I start to slip away from the lecture, so I bring snacks to stay awake for the drier professors. I would like to explore a more modern classroom and research the validity of less direct instruction (flipped classroom environments in particular), and see if there is a statistical improvement in learning and retention.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Commuter Student

Week 7 Story: The Dharma in Vidura